Monday, February 11, 2013

Reflection #4

It's mid-October and my friends and I finally have a day off from working at the All-Star Resort in Disney World. We decide to go to Hollywood Studios. This is the perfect time to be down in FL because the park is in it's slow season and the cast members definitely use it to their advantage. There was no line for Tower of Terror, which isn't unusual for this time of year, and get right onto the ride. Before we walked in, one of my coworkers said that she was gonna sit this one out. She said that she had a bad feeling about it, and just didn't like the ride too much anyway. So the rest of us got into the elevator, strapped on our seat belts, and it took us up. We watched the movie-star family get electrocuted (which is a normal part to the ride), went up another floor, and started to move forward through the hallway into the elevator shaft, that's when it all went wrong. The elevator brought us up to the top and we got stuck. It wasn't dropping like it was supposed to. Suddenly, all over our seat belts came undone, we heard a maniacal laugh, and then we heard a very loud snap and I shouted, "Everybody, hold on!" The elevator started to drop. I know that's the point of the ride, but this was definitely not going to end well. I was hanging on for my life and parents were hanging onto their children. It was total chaos, everyone was screaming. In a matter of seconds , which felt like minutes to all of the passengers, we heard a thud at the top of our elevator, and we started to slow down until landing gracefully at the bottom of the ride.  When we finally weren't too scared to open our eyes, we saw Superman standing over us on the elevator's chain-link cover. "Don't worry, citizens. You are safe now." He flew down, pried open the ride doors, and took off up the elevator shaft to deal with the villain. We all walked out of the ride and my coworker who sat out came running towards us, "Did you see that?" She was pointing to the sky. We all looked up, and there was Superman, flying off to save more lives.

I experience nostalgia almost every time I go back home. My family and I love to watch home movies and we even quote them sometimes in our normal conversations. We love sitting around and watching them together. I think what I long for, when I watch those movies, is to go back to simpler times when I could have a tea party with my Dad in my new Minnie Mouse tea set. Back to times when my mom would help me and my sister build a fort around the TV so we could have a movie marathon, but really only get through one and a half movies. Back to a time when my sister and I would play polly pockets for hours and keep our little town set up so we could play with it again tomorrow and continue on our story. When I think back to these times, I realize that I need to keep making sure to take joy from the simple things as I did when I was a kid. I know things may be stressful in life, but that doesn't mean you can't take ten minutes to enjoy coloring in a coloring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment